Monthly Archives: May 2013
On Tuesday night I went along to an intimate instore gig at Resident Music in Brighton that featured Public Service Broadcasting.
Rather than the usual stripped down, acoustic affair that we are normally treated to at Resident instores, PSB went all out, throwing the instore rule book out the window – bringing along everything but the kitchen sink (and by kitchen sink I mean live drum kit).
He tore through a 30-ish minute set – complete with visuals playing on a small black and white TV. Without doubt one of the best instores I have been to – and definitely the most advanced.
Oh, and he signed my vinyl:
This weeks update is all LPs.
First up is the new Daft Punk album, “Random Access Memories” on 2x180gram vinyl. Not sure if it is a classic just yet though!!
However, when it comes to classics, that is the best way to describe the Tall Ships debut “Everything Touching” – a really really great album, definitely in my top 5 for 2013!!!
Then it is the new Boxer Rebellion album “Promises”. The really underrated band have returned with another strong LP:
Next up is the amazing new LP from Arcane Roots “Blood + Chemistry” on 2x 180gram vinyl:
Finally for this update is newish LP from On An On “Give In”, I missed out on it when it came earlier in the year – but was lucky to pick a signed one up following their outdoor gig at the Republic Of Music’s courtyard as part of the Great Escape 2013:
A quick catch up of other items picked up during RecordStoreDay period.
Some 7″s, including the RSD Coldplay Comic/ 7″ picture disc release:
A couple of Frightened Rabbit LPs (including the RSD Midnight Organ Fight with limited edition Art Print):
The Shellac (Of North America) – 1000 Hurts
And finally – a couple of new slipmats from The Menzingers
So, I have listened to nearly all of the bands/ artists playing this years Great Escape festival in Brighton, UK (May 16th, 17th and 18th) and thought I would share my running order (in some cases, running will be required to get from Venue to Venue). For those who are interested, those in Bold are my top picks – and I will be doing everything possible to see them.
- Birkwin Jersey, 12pm @ The Brighthelm Centre
- Soul Sister Dance Revolution, 1pm @ The Queen’s Hotel
- Honeyblood, 2.30pm @ The Dome Studio
- Blaudzun, 3pm @ Komedia
- Holy Esque, 3.30pm @ The Dome Studio
- Big Wave Riders, 5pm @ The Festival Hub
- Glitches, 7pm @ The Festival Hub
- Tom Odell, 7.30pm @ The Warren
- Of Rust & Bones, 8pm @ The Festival Hub (back up band: Dancing Years, 8.15pm @ Prince Albert)
- Kodaline, 8.45pm @ The Dome Concert Hall
- Everything Everything, 10pm @ The Dome Concert Hall
- On An On, 12am @ Coalition
- No Ceremony///, 12.45am @ Coalition
- The Other Tribe, 1.45am @ Coalition
- Fatherson, 12.30pm @ The Dome Studio
- Kodaline (again!), 2.45pm @ Audio
- Alarm Bells, 3.30pm @ The Dome Studio
- Your Favourite Enemies, 6.15pm @ Concorde2
- Arcane Roots, 7pm @ Concorde2
- The Naturals, 7.45pm @ Above Audio
- Story Books, 8.45pm @ Sticky Mike’s Frog Bar
- To Kill A King, 9.45pm @ Sticky Mike’s Frog Bar
- Swim Deep, 11.15pm @ The Corn Exchange (bub: Fatherson, 11pm @ Prince Albert)
- Klaxons, 12.15am @ The Corn Exchange (bub: The Hounds Below, 12am @ Green Door Store)
- Seasfire, 1.30am @ Coalition
- Dan Croll, 12.30pm @ Komedia
- Great Cynics, 1.30pm @ The Hope
- Husky Rescue, 2.15pm @ Komedia Studio Bar
- Eliza & The Bear, 2.30pm @ The Haunt
- Deap Valley, 3pm @ The Festival Hub
- Kins, 3.30pm @ Green Door Store
- The Beards, 4pm @ The Festival Hub
- Parlour, 6.30pm @ Audio
- Of Rust & Bone, 7.30pm @ Brighton Museum, Pavilion Gardens
- Little Green Cars, 8.30pm @ The Warren(bub: Glitches, 8.45pm @ The Fishbowl OR The Strypes, 8.30pm @ Dome Studio)
- Tall Ships, 9.15pm @ Concorde2
- CHVRCHES, 9.45pm @Digital (bub: The 1975, 10.15pm @ The Old Ship Paganini)
- Tres.B, 10.30pm @ The Warren
- The Strypes, 11.30pm @ The Warren
- Holy Esque (again!), 12.45am @ The Blind Tiger Club